Friday, September 4, 2009

Paper and Pearls Picks: Skin Care and Cosmetics

I often feel very overwhelmed by skin care. There are so many lotions, cleansers, and creams out there. What do we really need??

I was recently at the dermatologist, so I asked him what he suggested for the ideal skin care. His answer surprised me: all he recommends is a good cleanser and a good lotion with SPF. What about eye cream? He smiled and said that doesn’t really make a difference. This is America and companies are always creating products that you “need.” He said to use a good cleaner, lotion, and be sure to use SPF every day. He says the brand Cetaphil really is the best – it’s a very simple formula and quite gentle. I couldn’t believe it! I’d been wandering Whole Foods looking at eye creams ($25-40!) and wondering if it’s worth it. Cetaphil is reasonably priced and widely available - you can get your whole skin care regimen for about the cost of a schmancy eye cream. Thanks, Doc! I started using the cleanser already, and it makes my skin so soft.



Here is what my dermatologist recommends:
Cetaphil cleanser
Cetaphil daily face SPF lotion
Cetaphil body lotion

(Bonus tip: If you order these on drugstore.com, you can get free shipping with an order of $25 or more. Very convenient and easy and one less errand to run! You can order a lot of beauty products and natural household items as well. I’m really enjoying Mrs. Meyer’s all-purpose cleaner as I explore natural cleaning products – it makes my house smell incredible (geraniums!)! )

I also asked about cosmetics. He said that the mineral brands do tend to be better for skin. I am a rather low-maintenance chic, and I like my Bare Minerals. It gives better coverage than other mineral brands. Get the starter kit for your skin tone and you're well on your way. I am ready to go in about 5 minutes each morning! I’ve been trying samples from Everyday Minerals lately – and really enjoying that brand as well. (Do try their samples – all you pay for is shipping!)

Simple is best. Straight from the doctor’s experience, no less!

No comments: