Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Featured Etsy Artisan: SweetSallysSoaps





I am crazy about nice handmade soaps. Every month I get a special lathery wonderfully scented soap - it really helps me start my day in a pleasant way. I found SweetSallysSoaps in my Etsy browsing and was so impressed with the beautiful photos and clear TLC that goes into creating this product. Sarah graciously agreed to be interviewed for my Featured Etsy Artisan spot. I also like Sarah's shop motto: "Take some time out of your busy life to enjoy a well-deserved affordable little luxury." I agree - the small simple pleasures do matter so much! Thanks for sharing with us, Sarah.

How about this for a sweet mothers day's gift? Or this for relaxation after a stressful day? Note the well-crafted photos as well - Sarah's art background shows! What a lovely shop.

• Tell us a little about yourself – your name, where you live, your work.
My name is Sarah Wagner-Ranes and I live in Central Pennsylvania in a small college town with my husband, my 15 year old son and our very bad husky dog Sitka. My soap making business is full time for me along with homeschooling my son. I have been making soaps for about 5 years now. I sell my soaps mostly at craft shows and farmers markets but since the beginning of this year I have been marketing my soaps online.

• Tell us about your Etsy shop and products.
I started my Etsy shop last summer but I didn’t really start adding products and marketing it until January of this year. Visit SweetSallysSoaps on Etsy.

• How did you get into your creating? Do you have a favorite item you’ve made? Tell us the story.
I went to Art school and majored in photography, which I have pursued most of my adult life. I do traditional black and white photographs and hand colored images. At the moment my photography is sort of on the back shelf since I started making handmade soaps. I came to a point where I had to step away from selling my photographs because I thought the only way for me to sell enough of my photography to make a living, I would have to compromise my art way beyond what I was willing to do. So I discovered in myself that I could quench my need for creating things through other avenues. That’s when I started making soaps. I really enjoy coming up with new recipes and making soaps that are not only beautiful but very good for your skin. I make my soaps out of really wonderful ingredients and scent them mostly with essential oils.

What advice would you give a creative entrepreneur on starting a small artistic business?
My advice would probably be to do what you love and do it with as much integrity as possible. Don’t give up easily; persistence is am important quality in anyone wishing to achieve success with a small artistic business.

Do you have a person that inspires you (living or historical)? Tell us about her or him!
I went through a period in my life when I was totally enthralled with Georgia O’Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz. I find them both tremendously inspirational. I think the time period of the very early 1900’s when photography was young and Modern Art was just blooming into existence must have been a very exciting time to be an artist.

• Do you have a book or movie that makes you feel creative? Tell us about it!
My favorite movie of all time is the Wizard of Oz.

What is your favorite handmade treasure?
I think my favorite handmade treasure would be a gold ring I got from a jeweler friend of mine. It is a simple gold band but it has a rather intricate design on it of leaves. I wear it with my wedding band.
• Do you have any suggestions for creatively weathering these tough economic times? How are you creatively making the best of it?
I not sure how much the bad economy has effected my business. The beginning of the year is always slow for me. I have done a couple of craft shows that I also did last year and made more money this year, so go figure. But I would say hang in there and offer a well made product at a good price. I am not saying low price, because I think too many people sell their handmade items for well below what they should, I am saying people are looking for value in their purchases.

No comments: