Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Featured Etsy Artisan: RabbitHollowPrims





I'm delighted to introduce you to Susan of Rabbit Hollow Prims. I found her shop on Etsy - and she is another fabulous local artist here in North Carolina. Susan creates "primitive dolls and such." Her work is charming and whimsical - I definitely want this Primitive Flora Flower Dollie, or how about this Primitive Sylvia Garden Cat?

Enjoy meeting Susan in her interview below. Be sure to check out her Etsy shop, her awesome blog with lots of helpful tips, and her website! Thanks for participating, Sue!

• Tell us a little about yourself – your name, where you live, your work.
My name is Susan O'Connor and I live in Hope Mills, NC. My regular full time job is a 6th grade Math teacher and then at night I become a mom of a 7 and 5 year old as well as a wife and then a doll maker. Life is hectic around my home.


• Tell us about your Etsy shop and products.
I have had an Etsy shoppe since 2006 but just recently over the past year started getting known and selling from it. I sell mostly primitive dolls of all varieties and seasons, as well as, vintage supplies, handmade turkey calls and not forgotten patterns. You can find my items here:
http://www.rabbithollowprims.etsy.com. I love making dolls as I love to see the characters come to life and take on their own forms. Halloween is by far my favorite dolls to make.


• How did you get into your creating? Do you have a favorite item you’ve made? Tell us the story.
I got into creating young. I was very sickly from about age 11 on with UC or ulcerative colitis so I was constantly having attacks in my teens to the point of having to stay home for months to heal. During that time, my mom was doing craft shows big time and she made dolls. Mostly artist type dolls, not primitives and so being bored I would help her make them for money as she would pay me to help her. I would say my favorite item is my own design Cabbage Mama and babies. She was the first pattern I ever made. A customer had requested a flower doll be made for her and so while making the flower doll which turned out to be Rosalia another of my patterns, Cabbage mama and babies came to be...The lady liked them both so much she bought both.

• What advice would you give a creative entrepreneur on starting a small artistic business?
Start small. I started on Ebay and Etsy before Ebay was crazy with all the rules. I got myself known and built a following, then I made my website and then from there even though it costs a lot I advertised mostly through free places then eventually when I could afford it paid places. Stay diligent and persistent even in slow times. It took over a year to start working for me....

• Do you have a person that inspires you (living or historical)? Tell us about her or him!
I would say other artists inspire me as well as my mom. She helps me to this day with the dolls and without her I would be way far behind LOL. She has been making dolls for over 30 years now. I am always amazed at how well sewn and the detail work she provides with the dolls. She is a perfectionist. If you sew something and she thinks it shouldn't look that way she will tell you about it and make you feel guilty enough to redo it over until it is right LOL.

• Do you have a book or movie that makes you feel creative? Tell us about it!
I would say the new Alice in Wonderland movie has sparked a lot of creativity from me. I am going to be in a gallery opening and the theme is Alice so I had to come up with 3 pieces. I made Alice, the Cheshire Cat and the White Rabbit for the event.

• What is your favorite handmade treasure?
I would say I couldn't pick just one. I have many handmades from doll swaps I have been in and each one is unique and I love them all. But Halloween tops my list of favorites all the time.

Do you have any suggestions for creatively weathering these tough economic times? How are you creatively making the best of it?
I honestly have been fortunate enough to be selling most of my handmades and actually be backordered on items. It has slowed down for me some now that Easter is over, but my advice is to never stop creating and doing what you feel. Make items you would love to have yourself. Don't make things on a whim and my thoughts are if it doesn't sell, I have a pretty handmade for myself or I have built up my stock which has been hard to do. I have alot of tips and pointers on selling on my blog to check out here:
http://www.rabbithollowprims.blogspot.com

Thanks so much for sharing with us, Sue! Be sure to visit her shop!

3 comments:

Rabbit Hollow Prims said...

Thanks for the feature I truly enjoyed doing it :)

Firecracker Kid said...

Oh what a wonderful interview. I know Sue and am a fan of her handmades. She is a wonderful person and a hard worker. Thanks for featuring her. I really enjoyed the interview.
Carol
Firecrackerkid Primitives

A Primitive Homestead said...

Congradulations and I enjoyed your interview. I will be sure and visit your blogspot too!