Sunday, April 5, 2009

Creative Living Interview #6



For my next Creative Living feature, I introduce my college friend and fellow English major - Melissa. She is poet at heart, and loves reading just as much as I do! She and I have enjoyed writing letters for many years now - keeping that art form alive. She is so gifted with words - and is a super editor to boot.

Melissa was also the winner of the first Paper and Pearls Contest and Giveaway! She's so creative. You can see a picture of her prize above - beautiful peacock pearls.

Thanks for being featured, Melissa!

Tell us a little about yourself.
My name is Melissa. I live in southern Maine and I've worked for the university system for just about 4 years now. I am starting to take classes toward a Masters Degree in Literacy.

What creative crafts or activities do you like to do? Tell us what you like to do and why it appeals to you.
I like to knit, cross stitch, paint with watercolor, make beaded earrings, write poetry, and bake. Seeing a project come to life from the humble beginnings of thread and fabric or yeast and flour is very satisfying to me. I like to see people enjoying my creations, whether for their beauty or their taste, and I only make things I enjoy myself.

Do you have a person that inspires you (living or historical)? Tell us about her or him!
I can only aspire to write poems like Emily Dickinson. She is my muse. I love how poetry can aptly capture beauty and meaning in a few carefully selected lines. Brevity is the soul of wit.

What is the most beautiful place you've ever been?
Prince Edward Island, hands down. The red roads, blue sky, and amber fields combine to make a breathtaking sight.

What creative things would you like to learn this year?
I'd like to learn to sew something without help,and I'd love to know how to knit cables.

No comments: