Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Featured Etsy Artisan: Bettsquilts




There are so many talented Etsy artisans out there. For my Featured Etsy Artisans, you can meet some of my favorites and get a glimpse of the amazing variety of creative talent out there!

I have always been a fan of handmade quilts. In fact, one of my most meaningful wedding gifts was a handmade quilt from my friend Susanna (we still have it on our bed). She helped me make a rag quilt which I still have (and treasure). I found Betty's quilts at her etsy shop - and loved her work! She graciously agreed to be interviewed for my blog.

Enjoy her inspirations, and visit her awesome shop! Thanks, Betty!
Tell us a little about yourself:
My name is Betty and I live in Southeast Arkansas, where I have lived all of my life, except for the six years we lived in Pennsylvania. In fact, that is where I actually started doing most of my quilting. I had done a little before moving, but during the long, cold winters, I had more time to experiment. I always keep a quilt in my quilting frame year round. I really enjoy making quilts. It is more than a job to me! When I finish one, I feel like I have accomplished something great.

Tell us about your Etsy shop and products.
In my shop on Etsy, you will find my completed quilts. I make pieced quilts, and I love to do applique. All of the quilts are hand made and hand quilted. Sometimes, I make baby quits and wall hangings, too. I enjoy being a part of Etsy because I meet people all over the world through conversations.

How did you get into quilting? Do you have a favorite quilt? Tell us the story!
I got into quilting because my mother and grandmother both made quilts. Also, when I was a teenager, we had a neighbor that did quilting for the public. I saw how she did the quilts, and I asked her questions about them. It was later in my adult life that I decided to try quilting. After I finished a few quilts, I decided I thought it would be nice to do the 'fancy' quilting, such as the feathered designs. It was more like art, and I loved the way the designs looked after quilting them. All of the quilts I have made are my favorites! If I had to choose one, it would be the Feathered Star that I made several years ago. (see photo above) It is just special to me.....maybe it is because I won Viewer's Choice Award in the Pine Bluff Quilter's Guild with that particular quilt. That was a great honor since they all make beautiful quilts! I won't part with it!

What advice would you give a creative entrepreneur on starting a small artistic business?
I would say, do something you enjoy! It is important to like what you are doing, or you will grow tired of it. Start small, that is, with something simple. Try different things until you find what you like to do best, and when you do, do the best you can with that one thing!

Do you have a person that inspires you (living or historical)? Tell us about her or him!
The person that inspired me most was my mother who passed away in 2007. We would spend a lot of time talking about quilts and how much we got done on a particular one each day. She gave me a lot of advice. I remember when I quilted my first quilt and showed it to her, she gave me a lot of constructive criticism and it made me try harder the next time. I wanted her approval! I think I finally earned it, too.

Do you have a book or movie that makes you feel creative? Tell us about it!
The book that makes me fell most creative is ' An Elm Creek Quilts Sampler." It is about a group of people that get together at a quilt camp and learn about quilting. Plus, they become the best of friends, and inspire each other.

What is your favorite handmade treasure?
My favorite handmade treasure would be a crocheted doily made by my daughter-in-law. She is also very creative!

Do you have any suggestions for creatively weathering these tough economic times? How are you creatively making the best of it?
I think the best thing to do is to stay positive! If you are creating things, it makes life less stressful, too. I have a lot of scraps and fabric I collected over the years, so I don't have to spend too much on supplies right now. I don't scrimp on quality, though. Only use the best in your products. And hang in there. Things will get better. If you continue to create things, then when the economy improves, you will be well ahead of the demand!

3 comments:

Paper&Pearls said...

Thank you, Betty! This was a great interview!

Anonymous said...

This is my sister!! Yes she does do beautiful work..I have a white bridel quilt on my bed that she made. So many tiny stitches..My great granddaughter's name is on it. She will get it one of these days. You do not see to much quilting like this anymore.

Paper&Pearls said...

Thanks, Ruth! Betty has amazing talent!