Friday, March 13, 2009

Creative Living Interview #5




It is my pleasure to introduce you to my very creative friend Lisa! She is incredibly talented - a musical, crafting, gracious person (and friend I miss!). Enjoy her Creative Living interview! I love the "icon" she made to put above her daughter's crib. And isn't Mary the cutest little girl you ever saw? Thanks for sharing with us, Lisa!

ENJOY!

Tell us a little about yourself – your name, where you live, your work.

My name is Lisa and I currently live in Nashotah, Wisconsin with my husband and two month old daughter, Mary Clare. My husband is a student at Nashotah House Theological Seminary, training to be an Anglican priest. I am blessed to work part-time from home as the administrator of Nashotah House’s Distance Learning Program. Though most recently, our daily (and nightly!) efforts are concentrated on getting know our lovely little girl and taking good care of her…it’s a joy!

·What creative crafts or activities do you like to do? Tell us what you like to do and why it appeals to you.

I have tried my hand at several creative pursuits, but the ones that have “stuck” include guitar playing/song composing, scrap-booking, jewelry making, knitting, and “projects” that I make up on my own that don’t really fall into a particular crafting category. My most recent creation is a painting/collage of sorts that hangs above my daughter’s crib (see photo above). I decided to create a tree partly because I just love trees. But, more significantly, I decided to create this tree because of the stories and truths we can tell Mary Clare from scripture - the tree of life (Gen. 2:9), "He is like a tree, planted by streams of water" (Psalm 1:3), the concept of bearing or not bearing fruit (Mt. 3:10, Mt. 12:33), the vine and the branches (Jn. 15.), "He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness...(Gal. 2:24 and MANY others references like this), etc...I think I have such varied creative pursuits because they each fit different parts of my personality and loves in life – detail oriented, dreamer, love for beauty & creation, etc.

· Do you have a person that inspires you (living or historical)? Tell us about her or him!

Wow – well, lots of people inspire me. But different people inspire me for different reasons.
Growing up, my dad sang and played the guitar to me and my brothers every night while we were falling asleep…a favorite childhood memory. I would say he (and those memories) inspire my desire to continue learning and playing the guitar. Also, other people’s creative interests inspire me – either to try something new, appreciate things I’m not so talented at, and to continue the activities I enjoy the most! Aside from people, I am deeply touched and moved by creation and the beauty of the earth (particularly flowers!). I believe this love for the earth’s beauty greatly affects different things I create whether it’s a song or a piece of jewelry.


· Do you have a book or movie that makes you feel creative? Tell us about it!

L.M. Montgomery and her beloved character Anne (of Green Gables) never fail to make me feel joy-filled and a little whimsical. I love her use of adjectives – some think Anne’s descriptions are a little over the top, but I love the vivid picture they paint of whatever Anne is thinking or feeling ;-)
I am also inspired by the writing of Madeleine L’Engle – particularly her poetry and non-fiction. Two of my favorite books of hers include The Irrational Season and Penguins and Golden Calves, Icons and Idols. She has wonderful perspective, boldness, and insight.

· What is the most beautiful place you've ever been?

Anywhere from Wyoming westward – especially Glacier National Park and the Olympic Peninsula of Washington, I love the combination of mountains, ocean, and rainforest all within a 50 mile radius of each other!

· What creative things would you like to learn this year?

I would like to learn more in depth jewelry making techniques. I also need to dust off my guitar; the late months of pregnancy made playing a little tough with the big belly…I’ve got some chord and picking combinations that need lyrics!

No comments: