Sunday, June 28, 2009

Creative Living Interview: Meet Cynthia


I am thrilled to introduce you to a dear friend for this latest Creative Living interview. I got to know Cynthia and her husband through my hubby, and we've all been fast friends ever since. Cynthia is a gracious and loving woman who has lots of creativity and gifts (she's an incredible hostess - we love staying with her). She's an inspiration to me - I hope you enjoy her interview.

Cynthia is also the owner of a Paper and Pearls original turquoise necklace - it looks stunning on her.

Thanks for sharing some of your creative insights with Paper and Pearls, Cynthia! :-)

Tell us a little about yourself – your name, where you live, your work.
My name is Cynthia Vukmer. I live in Fairfax, VA (suburb of DC) and am currently a homemaker.

What creative crafts or activities do you like to do? Tell us what you like to do and why it appeals to you.
I very much enjoy decorating--esp. working with pieces (furniture/accessories) someone already has to create an enjoyable, comfortable and aesthetically-appealing space. I also love creative writing, including poetry. And I enjoy photography quite a bit as well.

I love creating beautiful spaces because they can offer a sense of calm, rootedness that is so antithetical to the often frazzled, wayward world around us. Additionally, working with the space and pieces someone already has, allows a fun, interesting challenge for me. In writing, I often find sweet redemption when I am able to explore those deep, often untouched places of my soul with expressive words. And finally, I find pure enjoyment in showcasing the mundane as beautiful through the eye of a camera lens.

Do you have a person that inspires you (living or historical)? Tell us about her or him!
In the writing department, my aunt inspires me. She is so talented and devotes so much of her time and energy to perfecting her poetry and encouraging others, including me, to explore their own creative potential in this area as well. She is kind of a "Renaissance Woman" in that she's a loving wife and mother, a wonderful aunt, works full-time for a non-profit, writes books and poetry, and has a deep, tested faith in God. She is also a survivor in that she's overcome many obstacles in her personal life to accomplish so much. I am blessed to have her in my life and try to emulate her!

Do you have a book or movie that makes you feel creative? Tell us about it!
The Lord of the Rings book series inspires me through the way Tolkien masterfully creates an enchanting, magical world parallel to ours. I love how he confronts the ultimate battle between good and evil and the struggles we face in choosing the right path.

What is the most beautiful place you've ever been?
I've been to many wonderful places and they all have their own beauty. However, I love places with both coastline and mountains. The contrast between mighty ocean and grand terrain appeal to me, including California's coast, England's western coast and Hong Kong's coast.

What creative things would you like to learn this year?
I would love to continue to work on the interests I already have in decorating, photography and writing. I already plan to take classes in the first two and practice my writing!

No comments: