Thursday, June 11, 2009

Featured Etsy Artisan: StickerMeChic



I love trolling through Etsy, looking for unique handmade things. I found Jessalynn's shop, StickerMeChic, and got so excited about the work she's doing! I asked her to share a bit about her shop and herself, and she agreed! Yay!

I like these sophisticated monogram stickers... or how about these envelope seals?

Enjoy her interview below, and check out her lovely shop! Thanks for being featured on Paper and Pearls, Jessalyn!

• Tell us a little about yourself – your name, where you live, your work.

My name is Jessalynn Wasiel and I live on the West Coast of British Columbia in Canada and I work from home running my Etsy business and also work part time. I am also a busy mom to an even busier 14 month old toddler (he’s just learned to walk so he keeps me on my toes!).


• Tell us about your Etsy shop and products.

At Sticker Me Chic Boutique (stickermechic.etsy.com) I mainly sell stickers, although even though the name of my shop doesn’t say so, I also sell hang tags, and digital birth announcements. My stickers are my main seller and brides are my main buyers. The stickers can be used for favors, invitations seals, and address labels and can be personalized with their names and event colors. Not only do I get to design the stickers, but I also help to pull together the look of a wedding and I love weddings!


How did you get into your creating? Do you have a favorite item you’ve made? Tell us the story (and include a pic, if you like)!

When I was getting married, I enjoyed every minute of the planning and loved designing my invitation, which I got letterpress printed. I just loved designing all the other wedding things like my program and favors. In fact, one of my stickers uses the design I created for my invitation. From that point, I always thought how fun it would be to start a wedding related business.


What advice would you give a creative entrepreneur on starting a small artistic business?

Go for it! Whatever reservations you have, leave it at the door! As cliché as it sounds, the only thing stopping you is yourself. For so many years I never had the confidence in my work to start my own business but when I came across Etsy, I realized how many people have their own businesses and are able to make their dreams a reality. When people started to buy my stickers, I thought to myself, why didn’t I ever start this before?


• Do you have a person that inspires you (living or historical)? Tell us about her or him!

The person that inspires me is without a doubt, my son. Watching him see things for the first time and be so appreciative of life inspires me. Knowing he has so much ahead of him makes me really think about my own life and I believe he’s the main reason why I decided to start my own business.


• Do you have a book or movie that makes you feel creative? Tell us about it!

I don’t have a particular book or movie that inspires me but what always gets my creative gears going are book stores, craft fairs, paper stores, design books, beautiful magazines, and travelling!


What is your favorite handmade treasure?

A paper Valentine my husband gave me.


Do you know a creative person you think should be featured on Paper and Pearls? Let me know about them... paperandpearls[at]gmail.com!


No comments: