Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Featured Etsy Artisan: eikcam




I love this Etsy shop! Eikcam does ceramics, jewelry, and GORGEOUS pottery. Her pieces are beautifully photographed - visit eikcam for some eye candy. Grace kindly agreed to be interviewed - I'm so glad you readers can enjoy her inspirations. Thanks, Grace!


I especially like the lovely palette for the pottery. This White Dasik Tea Tumbler is GORGEOUS... I want it! And this Tomato Red Organic Shaped Side Dish? Lovely. Actually - I want all of it. :-)
Keep up the lovely work, Grace of eikcam! Thanks for joining us here at Paper and Pearls as our Featured Etsy Artisan!

Tell us a little about yourself – your name, where you live, your work.
Hi, I'm Grace from eikcam design in Vancouver, BC, Canada. I work from my tiny, little studio on the East side of Vancouver among some other great artists in our building. The part of Vancouver my studio is located is an area where there are many local artists working as full time artisans and where there is a lot of local culture and markets that support the arts scene.

Tell us about your Etsy shop and products.
My etsy shop is a collection of my ceramic work which ranges from jewelry to tableware. I also shoot vintage photography with my old Duaflex camera and have a small collection of BC inspired imagery. Most of my work has an aged or antiqued feel to it and I do use old antique molds for my ceramic ware. I love being on Etsy and being a part of this handmade community. I hope to have a more complete list of products up very soon. www.eikcam.etsy.com

How did you get into your creating? Do you have a favorite item you’ve made? Tell us the story.
Well, I am grateful for my parents and grandmother who encouraged my creative interests at a very early age. I've been painting, drawing, sculpting, printing my whole life and eventually majored in product design at art school. My favorite item so far are my tea tumblers. They are made from clay slabs but I've incorporated many elements into the design. I use an antique mold from the early 1900's from Korea married with a Provence styled texture on the base. Then I form ergonomic 'grips' for ease and comfort while drinking. They also work great for wine or even a cappuccino.

What advice would you give a creative entrepreneur on starting a small artistic business?
Having confidence in your work is really important. But, also being open to comments and feedback will help you decide where you might have some weak points and where your strong point are. Mostly, if you don't enjoy every second of what you're creating, then you might not be doing it for the right reasons.

Do you have a person that inspires you (living or historical)? Tell us about her or him!
I actually have two! The two Martha's: Martha Stewart and Martha Sturdy. Of course, Martha Stewart for her amazing talents and business sense. And, Martha Sturdy who is a Vancouver artist who attended my alma mater, Emily Carr and started with a small jewelry collection and now makes huge architectural art pieces for the home. Both had vision and the smarts and stuck to their ideas and goals.

Do you have a book or movie that makes you feel creative? Tell us about it!
There are too many films to list. But, in general, many foreign films inspire me. Whether they show the Dutch light on the landscape or the gritty underground in Budapest, these small independent films show me an interpretation of another part of the world that I wouldn't have otherwise seen. Colors, imagery and cinematography are all inspiring to me.

What is your favorite handmade treasure?
My last trip to Paris I found a tiny shop of just felted finger puppets. All four walls covered in hand stitched creations. It was so lovely! I have a lion, piglet and some darling unknown creature.

No comments: