Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Featured Etsy Artisan: LucindaChips





I found this lovely shop, LucindaChips, while I was browsing Etsy's gift guides. Being a lover of white china, these lucindachips plates caught my eye and I took a tour of her shop. Beautiful things!

Lucinda graciously agreed to be interview on my blog - I'm delighted to feature her. Enjoy meeting Lucinda, and be sure to visit LucindaChips on Etsy.

Tell us a little about yourself – your name, where you live, your work.
I'm Lucinda Mudge. I'm a photographer living in London with my husband, various house guests and unfortunately not one dog. We Live next to the Battersea Dogs home, and on the river and we are very happy.

• Tell us about your Etsy shop and products.
I have a lot of fun with my pottery and don't take it at all seriously. I enjoy making loads of different things, and they all seem to look similar. My brother gave me a set of pattern stamps from a brocante in France, they are 'stamp rollers' and you can see them stamped around the borders of my work. I love them and they are currently a huge inspiration in my pottery. I've been making a lot of press moulded work and enjoy it for its immediate results.

• Do you have a favorite item you’ve made? Tell us the story.
I would have to say that my favourite is this dog. His name is Albert. He's a good sort of dog, and is a loving and considerate pet.


• What advice would you give a creative entrepreneur on starting a small artistic business?
I don't really go in for creative business. I think it can often sap the spirit out of your creativity. My advice is to make your money some other way, and preserve your creativity for non money making purposes.

• Do you have a person that inspires you (living or historical)? Tell us about her or him!
Since I moved to London I have suffered information overload. I like very much the work by the potters Grayson Perry and Hilton Nel.

• Do you have a book or movie that makes you feel creative? Tell us about it!
I do. I have a wonderful book called 'French Design and Decoration' it is filled with colour plates and has lots of patterns in it.

• What is your favorite handmade treasure?
My husband made a small dog out of clay and the proportions are hilarious. I fired it and glazed it in white. I love it, it is so sweet.

1 comment:

Paul Galatis said...

Your work is fantastic, Ms Mudge. I want to see this pottery in person and I want more cards.